Sunday, February 21, 2010

Oyster Belt Buckle and Strap


It is (presumably) a well-known fact that I am a sucker for belts. Well, the other day, Joe Gannon, of his self-titled blog, posted on Twitter about the oyster belt that he purchased from North River Outfitters, made by the Oyster Belt Co. ("Kind of as creative as the Dave Matthews Band."). This is a great looking belt, and Joe indicated that both the buckle and strap are made in the US, which is fitting since the oyster is a fine and delicious creature that is enjoyed by people all along the eastern seaboard and Gulf of Mexico, from Maine to Texas. It's pretty much the bald eagle of the ocean.

At $75 for the buckle and $50 for the strap, it is kind of steep, but I'd say it's probably worth it, and would make a great gift, especially for someone whose birthday is in April...

12 comments:

Nicholas said...

I live around the corner from NRO. It's a great little shop and the people who work there are especially helpful. They have this belt hanging in the shop window right now. Highly recommended shop and belt.

The Enthusiast said...

Belts, like ties, are one of the few things in a man's wardrobe that can be novelty. Belt buckles can be transfered so if you already own a strap, you're set. This belt buckle is a definite go'for.

DAM said...

Looks good, oyster is to the south what the lobster claw is to the north, maybe?

Also try belts.com for straps that are great quality and only $20.

JMW said...

That is pretty darn cool. I got Hubby the hoof pick belt for Valentine's Day, so perhaps I may need to indulge in this one for our summer vacay to the beach.

trip said...

JMW-
Wow, between those boots for Christmas, the hoof pick belt, and this oyster belt, your husband gets some pretty great gifts.

Mark LaFlaur said...

Nice. Pray tell, where did you get the blue/green striped tie? Beautiful colors. --ML from N.O. in NYC.

trip said...

Mark-
Unfortunately, that isn't my picture. It came from the Oyster Belt Co. website.

Mark LaFlaur said...

OK, thanks, Trip. I'll check with Oyster. --ML

animal print gal said...

I love the buckle, very unique!

Unknown said...

capecodbelts.com sells an origional solid brass oyster buckle with a handmade belt for only $75

CJN at Your Pampered Horse said...

I like this oyster shell buckle. Ever since I started selling Carl Tasha buckles on eBay I’ve become more and more interested in buckles. I also realized recently I should get out here in the blogosphere and try to introduce more people to Carl’s beautiful work. (My sister and I started selling Carl’s Limited Edition buckles about a year ago. I hope you will come and take a look.)

Anyway, I really do like this oyster shell. It has an intriguing color and sheen and is a nice size and shape.

Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

Cellar Leather on Cape Cod has the original Oyster Brass 1-1/4" Buckle that is Handmade in Cotuit Ma. and comes with a Quality Handmade Belt for just $85.