Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Penny loafers for women at J. Crew

I was looking through the most recent J. Crew and was surprised to see that they are now offering a classic penny loafer for women, made by Bass, nonetheless. In spite of being popular with women during the 80s, and presumably during the 60s (the high points in preppy style), I'm not sure that I've seen a girl in peer group wearing a pair. Ever.

Seeing as how J. Crew has managed to emerge as more of a trendsetter than a trend-follower, it will be interesting to see if any other retailers follow suit. It should be noted that J. Crew is currently asking $120 for this pair of shoes. If you ask me, that's pretty ridiculous. Then again, crazy-high prices at J. Crew seem to be the rule rather than the exception nowadays...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wear penny loafers. I love them. I would never pay that much though, I shop at the Bass outlet near my house.

I have to add, I am new to your blog and I love it!

K.S.Anthony said...

J. Crew...I have mixed feelings. They are wildly overpriced.

I like their clothes, but the prices are ridiculous. The quality of Bass Loafers is such that they should $35.00 max.

Phoebe said...

Ahh, I used to wear these as a small child (I'm a girl, btw). And my friends definitely made fun of me. That + RL polos. Look who's laughing now!

I actually bought a pair of loafers that are a bit in the driving moc style from Sperry. I got a lot of compliments on them when I wore them through a few airports. Although...the compliments were from older women.

DAM said...

I remember when girls wore bass penny loafers and tan bucs with white wigwam socks. Nothing like middle school in the 90's.

Ed Forbes said...

My wife wears penny loafers from time to time, though generally in the fall and winter. Her pair was scored at the Bass outlet in Lake Placid about five years ago.

I, too, remember the girls in elementary school rocking these, probably between '85 and '89, when the blucher became popular. After the blucher, in about '93 or '94, I remember the buc taking the lead.

Patrick said...

Penny loafers and saddle shoes with Wigwams? That sounds like school in the 1940s, not the 1990s.

A great look, though.

Stephanie said...

Really? I wear penny loafers regularly! They go great with everything. I love to wear them with rolled pants and an Oxford shirt.

Sophie said...

I have a pair that I've worn on and off for around a decade. They are not a common sight - although the Crew effect may change that - and the last time I saw another woman wearing them we struck up a conversation and ended up the best of friends.