Monday, January 3, 2011

Patagonia Synchilla Snap-T

In spite of what Ms. Birnbach wrote in her latest book, I'm not sure how much of a staple polar fleece is in a classic wardrobe. However, if one must own a fleece, there is only one acceptable choice: the Patagonia Synchilla Snap-T. I know that Paul over at Dreams of Perfection will agree with me. Additionally, the primary color choice is dark green with the purple lining.

I'm not sure what there isn't to love here. It's warm. It's a classic. It has a collar. It has a front pocket (frocket?), which snaps, nonetheless. The purple and garish blue lining on the inside are just ugly enough to make it not cool, but not ugly enough to make it unwearable. It even looks good with a tie.

Sure, you can buy one new, but they don't call it "Patagucci" for nothing, as a new one will set you back around $100. Instead, head over to Ebay. I'm pretty sure they've been making these things since the 80s, and they can be picked up pretty cheaply (and in the dark green, which, for some stupid reason, is no longer being made).

11 comments:

The Glengarry Sporting Club said...

Wore this one (in the same color) all through the 90s and into the 21st century. Haven't been able to find it for a few years. This makes me want to dig it up.

Angela Duke said...

Definitely a staple, especially for casual days.
The Re-Tool Snap-T pullover seems to be everywhere too and looks great.

Main Line Sportsman said...

Gotta have some fleece....

Memphis88 said...

I've got 5 in an array of colors. The vintage colors are the best, but this past F/W's range of colors harkened back to those classic colors.

Anonymous said...

love my snap-t, if i was brave enough i'd rock one of the old patterned versions.

Stephen said...

I used to covet my buddy's LL Bean pullover in 5th grade. Wish they still made one. Found this one on EBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/VTG-New-LL-BEAN-Snap-T-POLAR-FLEECE-SWEATER-Jacket-Sz-L-/380305057256?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item588bf2a5e8

Anonymous said...

Looks like they might be bringing back the patterns....

http://siasnowshow.snowsports.org/supplierdashboard/upload/90/PATAGONIA%20FALL%202011%20HIGHLIGHTS.pdf

Tony (College Trad) said...

I absolutely agree, and I even got my Made in USA Synchilla from eBay for $15. If there ever was a fleece jacket that gains "top shelf" status among the classics, it is this.

Anonymous said...

@anon: wow, knew it had to happen

Death Bredon said...

Love the Snap-T. I also rock a black Patagonia Synchilla Vest frequently.

The Trot Line said...

Patagonia is one of the few expensive outdoor brands that I think is actually worth it. I use mine for day-to-day, out and about, and even as a layer when I'm in the deer stand. Definitely a staple.