Sunday, February 13, 2011

Confession: I wear tiny women's socks

When I started A Trip Down South, I purposefully decided that it would not be a blog in which I shared my deepest thoughts and feelings. There can be a lot of oversharing in the blogosphere (I have a college-era LiveJournal, now buried in the recesses of the internets, to prove that), and I did not want to go in that direction. However, this will be one of those times. I will let you in on a secret, one that only my closest friends know: I wear tiny women's socks.

It all started back with a pair of Banana Republic loafers socks. They were small socks that were, as the name suggests, cut really low to be able to be worn invisibly with loafers. I got two pairs of them a number of years ago and found that they worked really well with my LL Bean rubber mocs, allowing me to finally wear my rubber mocs "sockless" without having disgusting sweaty, smelly feet. The problem with them was that there wasn't really any elastic around the top and they would easily slip down off my heel.

Fast forward a couple of years and while visiting my friend Sean, who works at the Atlanta shoe store, Abbadabba's, I spotted some small socks that looked similar to my loafer socks. They were, however, marketed as women's socks. Seeing as how I wore those loafer socks fairly often, and how I was getting tired of the obvious results of wearing boat shoes sockless in the heat of the South in the summertime, I picked up a couple of pairs.

They are No-Show Socks made by Hue (which most women readers will likely recognize as the maker of tights, leggings, etc.). Unlike my Banana Republic pair, these have elastic around the upper portion, which allows them to stay up better. However, the best part about them is that they have a little silicone pad on the back heel which helps prevent them from slipping down off the heel. While I'm not going to say that they never slip, I would say 85% of the time they manage to stay up, regardless of what type of shoes I'm wearing. I currently wear them with boat shoes, blucher mocs, Wallabees, LL Bean rubber mocs, penny loafers, and other types of dress shoes. I wear them probably 95% of the time nowadays.

So, I recognize that a number of you, especially Dusty if he is reading this, are questioning my manhood. While that's not something that I'm really concerned about, I would like to present my logic in deciding to wear these for those who can't seem to wrap their heads around it:

1. I like the sockless look. It is one that I feel presents a touch of casualness to any outfit. I also feel like it looks better with shorts than any type of sock.
2. Feet sweat, no matter who you are.
3. Because feet sweat, wearing shoes without socks will make your feet and shoes smell horrible. Using powder is only a stop-gap solution.
4. No one likes feet and shoes that smell bad.
5. Shoes that are worn sockless simply do not last as long.
6. These socks allow one to have the sockless look while absorbing enough sweat as to avoid having smelly shoes and feet. They also provide more warmth than true sockless wear, allowing one to go "sockless" even in cold weather.
7. Because no one will see these socks, unless you remove your shoes of course, you don't have to worry about what others will think. If a person wears tiny socks and no one sees them, is he really wearing tiny socks?

So that is my argument for these socks. If you live in Atlanta, stop by Abbadabba's and pick some up. If you don't live in Atlanta, pick some up from Nordstrom. I wear a size 9.5 shoe and the large works for me, but if your feet are much larger they may not be work for you. You can also check out Mocc Socks, which are similar, and marketed towards men, though I cannot attest to their quality or ability to stay up.

19 comments:

Phoebe said...

As a female reader, this post made me smile. I've been wearing these socks with my boat shoes and ballet flats since high school (although I often go without them), but you can actually buy these type of no-show socks pretty much anywhere they sell socks — they just might not be Hue. You can even find them at Target and Wally World.

SMarge said...

I recently bought some at Publix. Thanks Trip! :)

Jim said...

Trip - As a fellow Tradly gentleman who enjoys Sockless Style, I can vouch for the quality of Mocc Socks. I stick with the gray and black versions as I find they are less noticeable when they happen to peek above the rim of your shoe.

Kim said...

I make the boys in my house wear the mocc socks because there's no way to get rid of that stinky shoe smell....and between the three of them, it gets quite overwhelming.

The Florida Blogger said...

Whatever works for you! I'm very impressed with your metrosexual coming out party:)

Anonymous said...

Those look sheer and of an un-natural fiber; They look like they wouldn't absorb a bit of perspiration.

I think this is a gateway drug to sporting womens' undergarments.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip! I found some Calvin Klein loafer socks that sound and work very much the same...3 color pack (taupe, dark brown, black) listed for $21. Found them at Macy's. But these appear to work just as well. Once they are on your feet, they are men's socks, no?

Joanne Cuozzo said...

My mother used to wear these. I think they were called " peds " back, oh 40 -50 years ago. Too funny to think now they are such a big part of your "man wear" Thanx for the memory & I say , If you're happy ... GO for it!

Anonymous said...

I like the low cut athletic socks you can get from army surplus stores. they probably wouldn't work with loafers, but they're great for sneakers and bluchers. Plus; only $3 a pair.

Matt Fox said...

I thought that was my own private trick.

Anonymous said...

Actually Calvin Klein makes them for men with silicon pads in the front and heel.

Anonymous said...

BR socks originally weren't elastic all of the way around, but the latest versions are, FYI.

Shoeless Joe said...

Thanks for sharing. I might give these a try this summer... but don't tell anybody.

Anonymous said...

You know they make loafer socks for this exact purpose. Get some Mocc socks. www dot moccsocks dot com . I have a ton and they're awesome. Also since they're much more like real socks you dont have to be embarrassed if you have to take of your shoes for some reason

Anonymous said...

in case you allow actual links, here's the link to moccsocks: http://www.moccsocks.com/

Anonymous said...

I find myself wearing these with Toms since regular no-show socks are much thicker.

Death Bredon said...

Perhaps Lisa Birnbach can take up the issue of mock socks in her third edition!

I suppose the tradition Preppy way is extremely good foot hygiene combined with large does of talc. But even then ....

Anonymous said...

J crew is selling loafer socks now, and they have been working great for me.

Converse also makes some cut for chucks, they're not quite as low as the jcrew pairs but they are perfect for wearing with any tennis shoe.

Anonymous said...

I agree that wearing boat shoes sockless in the heat of the summer in the south can be sweaty. Plus the shoes don't last as long. They rot from the salty dampness. And sometimes odor can be an issue.