Monday, July 25, 2011

DIY Ginger Beer

Back in May I wrote about how I made my own lime cordial for making gimlets. I mentioned how I found the recipe on the New York Times Magazine website, and while reading some of that author's archives, I came across his recipe for ginger beer. It can be found in his article entitled "Case Study: Cloudy with a Chance of Ginger."

Now, I have never been a huge ginger fan, though I do like ginger ale. The Dark & Stormy is always a popular summer drink, and having tried it with some store-bought ginger beer, I was not really impressed. However, I decided that maybe if I could make my own, I would like it better. So, I followed the author's recipe and gave it a shot.

It's really a pretty simple recipe. It involves grating ginger, juicing a couple of lemons, and making some simple syrup. All of these ingredients are combined, along with some yeast and filtered water, in a bottle, and put in a dark place to ferment. All of the amounts can be adjusted to your individual taste, so that it you'd like it a little sweeter or spicier, or a little less sweet or spicy, you can change it.

I originally had a bit of a problem in that it seems that the yeast didn't properly ferment the first time. After a couple of days I mixed up a little more yeast, this time letting in bloom in a bit of warm water before adding it to the bottle. It's important to keep an eye on the bottle for a few days in that the CO2 generated by the yeast will eventually cause the bottle to swell. If left unmonitored, it could burst, but this shouldn't be a huge problem.

After letting it ferment for a good 24 hours, I put it in the fridge to stop the fermentation process and, after straining it, moved it to a glass bottle. It ends up being slightly carbonated, which is nice. I mixed it with some dark rum, a squeeze of fresh lime, and the resulting drink was delicious. If you're a fan of ginger, or of Dark & Stormies, I'd highly recommend giving this one a shot.

5 comments:

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

Nice work...I am impressed! We drink ginger beer all the time. If it's not in a Dark n Stormy we just add lime and call it a Stormy...may have to try this recipe!

Silk Regimental said...

This sounds interesting. I just made lemoncello and it turned out OK. May give this a try. Thanks,

Brohammas said...

Love seeing others dabbling in the soda arts. I tinkered with yeast carbonating ginger ale but it always came out a bit heavy for my taste. We now use CO2.
http://brohammas.wordpress.com/soda/

Rhon Bell said...

Hey, I think this sounds like a fun idea. I'm gonna have to give this a try in the next couple weeks and let you know how it turns out. Loving the blog man, been following for a while. Just added you to my blog roll.

WolvesAtTheDoor said...

Hello, live in Perth, Australia and it's my life long dream to visit America. I was enjoying your blog but thinking that I shouldn't really comment unless I get REALLY exited about something or I can really relate. Then I scrolled down and saw Whiskeytown! I know there are millions of Ryan Adams fans worldwide but I still get so exited when I hear someone else acknowledging the genius that is Mr Adams! My favourite album is pretty much all of them. If you have an urge to discuss him drop me a line because I could do so. I am going to check out the other artists you mentioned an the film too.