Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Broker's Gin

While up in D.C. (a post about my trip is forthcoming), I went to a Christmas party with the friend I was staying with. It was just a little get together at someone's apartment and there were probably about 20 people there. After having a little bit of wine, I noticed that someone brought some stuff for gin & tonics, so I decided to have one. The gin was called Broker's Gin, and, I have to admit, the main reason my curiosity was piqued was because the bottle has a black bowler for a cap. Cheesy? Perhaps. Did it make me want to drink gin? It certainly did.



Broker's Gin, apparently, is made in Birmingham, England, so I guess it has some British street cred. While I don't consider myself a gin connoisseur, I do enjoy it and prefer Beefeaters. It seems to strike a good balance to me in terms of good flavor without being too expensive (or prentious; Tanqueray anyone?). That said, in spite of having two gin & tonics, I didn't really notice that the gin was particularly good. It wasn't bad, but it didn't seem to be anything special. I feel like my opinion was justified, however, when I read this review of the gin today. They seemed to agree that the flavor wasn't that great; however, they did point out that this gin is 94 proof, which is pretty impressive, so apparently it will help you get tanked faster. According to that review, it cost about $20 for a bottle, which isn't too bad, and seems to be in between Gordon's and Beefeater in terms of price. Given the choice between the two, I think I would probably end up choosing Gordon's over Brokers, but at least the bottle looks good on the shelf.

8 comments:

Zingiber said...

The bowler is classic, though. I'd try it for that reason alone.

Charles said...

I'd like to get tanked slower.

Unknown said...

Just never acquired a taste for gin. A little Scotch if you would, please.

Giuseppe said...

I have to disagree with Sartre. Booze is for grownups, and it shouldn't come with plastic toys attached.

Also, all English gin is 94 proof. Its a British law.

tintin said...

I hate to admit it but I bought this gin for the the bottle alone. Having worked as an insurance "Broker" in London the guy on the label screams the "city."

Plymouth Gin is much lower in AC (41.2%) than any gin out there and consequently is my go to bottle in the summer for G&Ts. You can have two without getting that buzzed feeling. Although, for martinis Beefeater is a must for me. Always remember...Martinis are like a woman's breasts...one's not enough and three's too many.

trip said...

titin,

That is a great quote. I will be sure to share it with a buddy of mine who has been known to consume more than few (vodka) martinis in his time.

Anonymous said...

I totally disagree. I have tried a lot of gins from Plymouth to Gilbeys back to Beefeaters to Gordons, etc., etc., and the thing that always has bothered me is how preposterously overpriced gins are. After all, they're 99% water and alcohol. I really liked Brokers Gin- the price was right, the taste was a classic rich English gin flavor and it makes a great martini. Actually, I prefer a Gibson with three onions and a twist- smashing! hoho

Newton@CampbellCA said...

I concur with anonymous - Broker's is a great tasting gin. It is excellent straight up and also in a Martini - just go easy on the vermouth. MMMMM, gin.