Friday, February 27, 2009

Follow-up jeans post: the results are in!

First off, I wanted to thank all of the ladies out there who voted on the poll, and for all of the comments that everyone added to the post. Here are a few thoughts:

1. Well, my hypothesis was shown to be false. I had anticipated the results being #1- "Designer" jeans, #2- Levi's, and #3- "Premium" jeans. Instead, it seems that Levi's won with an overwhelming majority of 18 votes, follow by "Premium" jeans with 10 votes and "Designer" jeans with 9 votes. While I'm not sure if the poll was exactly "scientific," I do believe that the results reflect the superior taste of the women who read this blog and voted. Overall I'm pretty happy with the results.



2. Regarding Wranglers, perhaps I missed a particular segment of people by not including them as an option (maybe I should have at least had an option for "Other"). I have never really been in any social groups where they are very common, but I guess there are some places where they are a lot more ubiquitous, especially in Texas. I think that they would fall into the same general category as Levi's, though, given their low cost and similar quality.

3. I should note that I currently wear Levi's 501s. If I wasn't a poor grad student I would definitely like to invest in a higher quality pair, most likely some APCs. They are on my "to do" list. Regardless of how the poll came out, there was really no way I was going to switch to "designer" jeans; it just seems like money poorly spent, and the washes that they have on most of those jeans simply look stupid. I like dark blue jeans, and I'll wear my own whiskers into them by wearing them a lot, the way that people used to do it.



If I had a gun to my head and was forced to buy a pair of designer jeans (seeing as how that is the only way any girlfriend could choose my clothes for me), Citizens of Humanity does actually make a pretty good looking pair of jeans simply called "Selvage." They are made of selvage denim, are dark blue with no wear marks on them, and don't have any stitching on the pockets. The only downside is that they are "imported"; a bigger shame in light of the fact that they apparently have a bootcut pair called "Perfect Selvage" which are made in the US. The $230 is pretty bad, though, especially when you consider what better jeans you could get for the price. C'est la vie...

4. Regarding jeans on women, I guess I really don't have a problem with them wearing "designer" jeans. Women generally have different rules for clothing than men, so if that's what they want to wear, who am I to interfere? Generally speaking, I would say that I like when women wear Citizens jeans, but maybe that really has more to do with the girls themselves rather than the jeans. I think that it probably comes down more to how a particular cut of jeans flatters a woman's physique than to who made the jeans (as Elisa noted in the comments of the last post).

Anyways, thanks again to all who voted.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand the misgivings about Wrangler, however if I were to show up to work in Texas in Levi's they would think there is something wrong...

Anonymous said...

Howdy from West Texas.

Let me give you a clue. In the late 70s & early 80's we guys liked Levi's. They are roomy in the seat. Perfect for operating a tractor comfortably or jamming to Neil Young's electric guitar work. And we got used to seeing the sag in the seat from high school thru college. It was the norm.

The gals liked Wrangler. And if let one too far into your world, and ya had the right lower back outline for her to want to show it off, she'd pester ya to get Wranglers. Pester pester pester. Gotta make her girlfriends jealous. Solely so it would show off your lower back. Lower, lower, back. Nice tight outline, they claimed. Some had it. Most didn't.

So, a few PW guys wore skin tight Wranglers along w/ the rodeo dreamers and goat ropers. Goat ropers need love too, ya know.

Wranglers are tight. Show off your package front and back like you're out shopping it around.

Not good, in general. A real wasp-trash outfit.

Anonymous said...

Be careful with with APC and try them on before you buy a pair. They will have a VERY low rise if you are used to 501's. I have a three jean rotation of 501 STF (33/34) from Sears, RRL Straight Fit (32/32) and the APC New Standard (32). Of the three, the APC has the best denim by far, and the leg is good, but the back and front rise can be uncomfortable. Almost impossible to keep the tail of Brooks OCBD tucked in for more than an hour of sitting and standing at work or in a bar. The waist will also stretch so you get hit with a low rise, baggy waist double whammy.

I had the APC Rescue (31) first but the rise was too short and the leg too wide so off to the eBay they went. Sorry to ramble but I can't stress trying any APC denim on before you buy them, and keep in mind that they will stretch. They are a tough fit into a Ivy/Tradish wardrobe because of the low rise.

trip said...

Charlie,

Thank you for the heads up on the APCs. I will definitely make a point to try some on before I buy them.

Anonymous said...

Where did you buy the wranglers from??

Anonymous said...

I believe the appeal of Wranglers for some men is the placement of the pockets. I think they are supposed to make the seat more comfortable when riding on a saddle. That is why they are a favorite of cowboys.

Anonymous said...

That is why we called them "stranglers". - Kevin from Austin, TX.

Bang Potential said...

I think Charlie was referring to "Shrink to Fit" (STF) 501s. I love mine and take any opportunity hype them even though they now have a much higher profile than they did even a couple years ago.
If STF was obvious to errbody, sorry.
I want jeans w/ a bright 70s-ish blue Wranglersesque wash, any ideas? Nudies makes them but...

SWEET FACE!! said...

So i just found this blog, and while reading through it this entry got most of my attention. Levi's also makes premium denim with their LVC line. Pieces in that line go for 500 dollars, while they remade the 1947 501's, they also went for 187. All the denim is from the CONE denim factory in North Carolina, and if USA made denim really floats your boat check out RAG AND BONE. R&B are made and dyed in NC and sewn in Kentucky. APC does a pretty good job with the price point and selvage, but if you really would like to get some high quality selvage (to get the most/best fades) i would check out Sugar Cane, Omni, Skulls, Iron Heart, etc.
you can find these lines either at selfedge.com or blueingreensoho.com.
Although i LOVE my 501 STF's and they have incredible fading, im also a glutton for paying 300 for a pair of 15 oz silver lined okynawa loomed Japanese selvage dungarees.