Wednesday, February 18, 2009

J. Crew Timex military watch, redux


Photo courtesy of Alan's Vintage Watches

In my post last November, I provided some alternatives to the Timex military watch that J. Crew is currently selling. The other day I received an email from Alan at Alan's Vintage Watches telling me that he had a review, with a number of photos, of the J. Crew Timex on his website. While I am not generally a favor of people soliciting their websites like that, after taking a look at his page, I realized that it really was worth sharing. If you didn't want one of these watches before, after reading his page, it just might change your mind. Check out the review here.

4 comments:

Foster Huntington said...

LL. Bean also had some awesome military watches made by watch maker hamilton. its a great look, i like the nylon strap.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/acorn60/Watches/HamField.jpg

Anonymous said...

This is a great find, Trip. Nice work. I laughed at his post on the Swatch tamper. Too funny.

RHW said...

I bought the JCrew Timex just after Christmas, for myself and immediately dropped the supplied NATO band. It's treated cotton, and frays easily, picks up lint like a magnet, just aweful. I bought an 18mm Maratec nylon strap in black, tan and green and the tan looks best on this. Great watch, great size case, and I think a great value too.

Anonymous said...

Not a bad watch, but why not buy a real vintage military watch and throw it on a Maratec or an old Bund? You'd probably end up spending less money on a true vintage watch then a Timex pretending to look like it's survived decades, IMHO.