Friday, February 20, 2009

A poll for women readers: What jeans would you pick for your boyfriend/husband?

While I'm pretty sure that the majority of readers here are male, but I suspect that there are at least a few women who come here on occasion. For those of you of the fairer sex, I wanted to get your thoughts on this question.

If you were able to choose what sort of jeans your boyfriend/husband (real or hypothetical) would wear, and cost was no object, which of these three general types would you choose?

-Levi's. Since Levi's are so ubiquitous among men, I figured this would likely be a category of its own. These are just your basic jeans. You choose the cut and the wash, but Levi's Vintage Collection is not included here.
-"Designer" jeans. Typically characterized by a well-known name (Citizens of Humanity, Seven for All Mankind, Diesel, etc.) and typically quite expensive, especially when you consider that most are made in third world countries.
-"Premium" jeans. While these can be expensive too, they are usually made in the US, Japan, or some other non-third world country. Made of high quality denim with quality construction. Nudie, APC, Levi's Vintage Collection would be some examples.

While I realize that there are other types of jeans, I suspect that these three should cover the majority of preferences that might be represented here. Please cast your official vote on the poll located on the right side of the screen ----------->

I seriously doubt that the results of the poll will change my own preferences of jeans, I have a hypothesis about the results and wanted to test it. Please leave comments here if you have anything else you would like to share.

12 comments:

trip said...

Dear commenter from Raleigh,

Sorry, your comments don't get published anymore. Go find another blog.

Kim said...

Levis.

Anonymous said...

Hey Trip,

I having been asking myself the same question. There are 2 factors that play a major role in this decision. 1st you have to decide what makes you the most comfortable wearing and what impression you want to give people about youeself. 2nd It depends a lot about the community you live in. I'm form DC, so when I go home I see a lot of the guys wearing trendy jeans( and I dont hang out at trendy places), but I am in school in VA, so I feel more comfortable wearing my 501s. And I would stickout like sore thumb in trendy jeans. Besides its a rear occurence when I wear jeans, anyway. I'm a khaki guy and proud of it.

P/S where is the new homepage pic from

Charlotte said...

Only Levis. Anything more & you run the risk of looking like Simon Cowell.

lottie

Elisa M said...

It totally depends on the fit. Couldn't care less about the brand, so long as the fit is good and the guy is owning the look.

LUCY said...

Levi's! Or anything else without jazzy stitching on the back pockets.

erin said...

Definitely Levi's! They're classic and don't carry any of the weird stigma of incredibly expensive jeans, though, I will mention something that happened yesterday…

My boyfriend had a new pair of jeans on and I thought that they were a pair of premium jeans because they had such a wonderful wash and fit to them. When I asked him about it, he responded: "Target. $25."

No back pocket stitching but overall they look great, so there's one place to look for jeans!

Anonymous said...

None of the above, real men wear Wranglers. In Texas only Yankee's and city slickers wear designer jeans and "other" states wear Levi's.

The Duck said...

When I wear jeans they are Wranglers. I only wear jeans when working outdoors and I have found that they take more abuse than others.

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

Levis. Exceptions only in emergencies.

Anonymous said...

I'm kind of surprised by all the votes for Levi's. I would have guessed that most of the women would have voted for Sevens and the like. IMO though, APC is the way to go. The dark selvage denim, cut, quality, simplicity and (relatively) decent price make them the best overall jeans out there. I wear my Rescues several times a week and couldn't be more satisfied with them.

Anonymous said...

I think my husband, and most men, look best in real pants, not jeans. However, when jeans are worn, I say Levi's. Especially since they now have a variety of cuts for different shapes and preferences, and some really good looking washes.