Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Custom Hide leather briefcases

I've been somewhat surprised that in the course of all of the talk about bags and US-made goods on various blogs, Arizona-based Custom Hide has somehow been overlooked.

While I have not had the good fortune of trying one of these bags out personally, they used to be the talk of the town on a particular men's clothing forum that I used to frequent, specifically the 1945 US Army Briefcase. From what I've read, though, they are very well made, use good leather, and offer a number of customization options on orders. Those options include several leather colors, the overall size on the bag, the number and placement of pockets, and the style and finish of the hardware used. And, as I mentioned earlier, they are made here in the US, but their prices are really quite reasonable (which is a lot more than can be said about some other companies/collaborations lately).

Here are just a few bags that they offer:

US Army 1945 Briefcase (mentioned above)

Classic Leather Briefcase

Barrister

Advocate

Be sure to check out the website as it offers at least a dozen other styles, including a backpack and duffle bag. While they may not be breaking any ground in the style department, Custom Hide is making classic, well-made, leather bags for reasonable prices, and they come with a lifetime guarantee. If I was in the market for a leather briefcase, this would definitely be my first stop.

Also, be on the lookout for the A Trip Down South x Custom Hide briefcase (I wish it was true, but this is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek).

13 comments:

L.A.S said...

A Trip Down South & Co. is quite anticipated, but then again that's just what I read on all the blogs.

Old School said...

The 1945 U.S. Army Briefcase is the bag to beat all bags.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

J.P. said...

Trip- I feel the same way. These bags are really nice. I have wanted to pick one up for a while.

Mr Ryan said...

Can not beat a classic!

trip said...

Mr. Ryan-
I was trying to find your email address on your blog, but couldn't do so. Shoot me an email.

Ashlyn Stallings said...

I'd be a sucker for a guy with one of these. And I mean, there is something to be said for stuff that doesn't "break any ground in the style department."

trip said...

EAS-
I am glad to hear that. Do you know my brother, Walt, at Samford?

Anonymous said...

Also check out the Filson Field Satchel. Similar to the 1945, but much thinner (I think the Custom Hide one expands to like 8"). I have the Filson and it's AWESOME. Gets compliments all the time.

Birddog said...

Filson and LL Bean make readily available and reliable briefcases. The leather is nice because it gets more character with age, but watch your handles, that's where all your law books will cause breakage.

Anonymous said...

I've owned a Custom Hide Classic Briefcase for a couple of years now and I love it. I spend a lot of time walking around Portland, OR and this bag does superbly well in the rain. I've wanted something larger, with more compartments and that could be worn as a backpack, so I just placed an order with Custom Hide for a Scholar Laptop Large briefcase, with the customizations of having backpack straps and an umbrella pocket added.

Leather briefcases said...

i never see the US Army 1945 Briefcase..How can i purchase this..

leather briefcase said...

I think Classic Leather Briefcase bags is one of the best bags i ever see.. I carry this bag all the time and it does really well in the rain..

Paul Cuenin said...

There prices are really not bad at all. Thanks for sharing!