Tuesday, December 8, 2009

J. Crew Bowery drafting tote review

About a month ago I wrote about the Bowery drafting tote at J. Crew and compared it to some similar bags that are currently available. In the process, I concluded that in spite of its $98 price tag, it really was a pretty good value.

Well, this past Saturday, my wallet a little heavier with money that I made from house/pet-sitting, I went over to J. Crew to take another look. When I got there, I found that the bag wasn't where I had originally seen it, but was in the back with the sale items. When I looked at the price tag, I saw that it had been marked down to $50, and when I took it up to the register, it rang up for $30! I don't know if this was some sort of mistake or not, especially since the bag still costs $98 on the J. Crew website, but I'm certainly not complaining.

I have to say, while I think that bag was a pretty good value for $98, for $30 this thing is an absolute steal. Here are some additional pictures, in case you're interested.





As for thoughts on the bag, I don't really have any complaints. As you can see from the pictures, the interior pockets are plentiful and useful--something that is too often lacking on a lot of tote bags. Its also large enough to fit my laptop, along with a textbook or two, so it certainly versatile. While the bag is promoted as being waxed, it's not like someone took a Barbour jacket and made it into a bag. However, I am somewhat tempted to give an application of Barbour wax to see how it would look. Regardless, it seems pretty well-made and the materials seem like they are going to age really nicely.

If you're interested in the bag, I suggest getting on the phone with your local J. Crew to see if they have marked them down in the store as I suspect these things will sell out quickly once they get marked down on the website.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Good things come to those who wait (sometimes)!'

Anonymous said...

"It's not a purse. It's European!" ;-)

Mr Ryan said...

J Crew @ Lenox?

trip said...

Mr Ryan-
Nope, J. Crew at the Forum up in Peachtree Corners.

JMW said...

Cool bag. Question for you...I'm thinking about purchasing hunting boots for my hubby for Christmas. I'm hearing good things about the Red Wing Irish Setter boot. Do you know about these? Any recommendations from a fellow hunter?
Thanks!

Mr Ryan said...

Thanks buddy, Im on it!

RHW said...

JMW...Red Wing Irish Setters are terrific boots. I'd suggest you go straight to a Red Wing dealer though, and bypass the J.Crew mark up.

Trip, nice bag.

trip said...

RHW-
I actually sent JMW an email regarding boots, but suggested the same thing you did regarding getting them from Red Wing instead of J. Crew. I also suggested Gokey boots from Orvis and boots from Russell Moccasin Company. Thanks for your comment, though.

Nicholas said...

I called J.Crew in Copley today and they told me $98 still. It sounds like you made out pretty well.

Keith said...

That is one great looking bag.

AlanC said...

Great looking bag, Trip. I grabbed the Filson (non-zip) tote during the recent Martin + Osa sale. As a bag addict I may have to swing by the local J Crew and see if this one is marked down.

trip said...

Alan-
That is pretty cool; I didn't know that Martin + Osa has teamed up with Filson (I would have thought it would be all over the blogosphere), but that is awesome that you were able to get it on sale. Is it basically the same as the regular Filson tote?

Tommy said...

Thanks for the tip, Trip! I got mine today at the store in Green Hills (Nashville). You can't beat the price.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I bought this bag last week before reading this blog and its reviews, and I have to say I didn't think the item looked at all like the one depicted online. The shape and color seem off. Did anyone else think this? If you've used it, can you tell me if the shape "settles in" so to speak?

trip said...

Anon-
Yes, I will agree with you that picture online does seem a bit misleading (not in a positive or negative way, though, in my opinion). If you want the leather to be darker, applying some sort of leather conditioner (like Obenaufs or even Kiwi) or maybe try some mink oil.

Stephen said...

I love this tote! I, too, happened across on accident in the sale section of my local retail JCrew for $30. Bought 3 of them and gave one away for a gift with an extra one for spare. Is sturdy for all weather and fits everything I need for day-to-day running around.