Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Gap Authentic Fit jeans: A caveat

After posting what was generally a glowing review of the Gap Authentic Fit jeans a little over a month ago, the honeymoon period has ended and I would like to follow up with this caveat/complaint/advice. If you are thinking about purchasing these jeans, I would highly recommend going down at least one size.

I tried these jeans on in my normal waist size at the store they fit so I bought them (being a man, that is about as much information as I want to obtain in a dressing room). Upon trying them on at home (after removing the tags), I realized that while the rest of the jean fit well, the waist was actually at least an inch too big. I had missed this because all of the excess material was in the back and when I tried them on, I guess I hadn't been looking for it. I figured that the jeans would shrink a bit when I washed them and it wouldn't be a problem anymore. Well, I did wash them and they did shrink a bit, but once I started wearing them, the waist stretched back out to its original size, and since then, the thighs have stretched a good bit too. I had breakfast with my friend who works for Gap this past week and mentioned the problem to him and he did admit that Gap has had problems with their denim stretching more than they want it to. While that might be part of the problem, I think that it is also vanity sizing on the part of Gap, which I find kind of annoying. If anyone from Gap corporate is reading this and would like to provide me with a new pair of jeans, in the correct size, I'd really appreciate it.

Other than the sizing issue, I have still been pleased with the jeans after a month and would still recommend them. Moral of the story: size down. They will probably look pretty tight when you do, but don't worry, they'll end up looking alright after a couple of days.

8 comments:

Authentic Trad said...

For those who don't like a gigolo fit in jeans: Trust GAP's sizing.

trip said...

This post has nothing to do with the fit of the jeans. This has to do with the literal size of the waist. If you like your pants constantly sagging down, or having to cinch your belt tight and causing the fabric in the waist to bunch up, yes, trust Gap's sizing. If you don't like those things, trust my advice.

Paul said...

I'm actually on my 3rd pair of Gap jeans due to the size in the waist. First pair, got my normal size. Second pair, one size down, still too big. So now I'm two sizes down with my 3rd pair. Although it's been annoying dealing with that, they're still great jeans.

DAM said...

Trip - take them back to the Gap, tell them the situation on stretching and they should be happy to exchange them for you w/o tags.

SMarge said...

I have found this to be just as true with their jeans in women's sizings. It's quite annoying.I have a pair of jeans that I use to love from their but they are now about 2 sizes to big. What is even more annoying is that their sizes vary so much. I have pants from the Gap in a size 2, 4, 6, and 8. That is just ridiculous and doesn't make much sense. Why, why, why?

trip said...

Well, I am glad to hear that I am not the only one having trouble with this, though it does seem to reflect poorly on the company.

DAM,
I may give that a shot. We'll put Gap's customer service to the test.

Anonymous said...

Finding the perfect fit on jeans is the hardest clothing item to find. I happen to be odd sizes - perfect waist and length for me ends in odd numbers. The Gap happens to not offer jeans in my size, but Banana Republic does. I bought a pair on sale and they are GREAT.

Funny thing too about button down (but not dress shirts) - I have shirts in every size - S, M, L, and XL that all fit me. How strange and potentially frustrating is that?

Tommy said...

I can relate to what everyone is saying. I have shirts and sweaters in everything from S-L, but I have to say that the bootcut jean from Gap has been my favorite. It's trim but not hipster. :) Skinny jeans flatter no one.