Thursday, October 23, 2008

Girl Talk

Since the Ryan Adams show in Atlanta last Friday night was obviously a bust, I'm convinced that the best concert of the week took place last Thursday at the Variety Playhouse. While I was not fortunate enough to go, I really wish I could have. It was a show put on by a DJ named Gregg Gillis a.k.a. Girl Talk. Basically, Girl Talk takes Top 40 songs from the past three decades, or so, and chops them up and puts them back together to form songs. These songs are basically awesome. If you are a child or the 80s or 90s, it is difficult not to like. On one song he mixes the music from an Ace of Base song and layers "My Drink n My 2 Step" on top of it while later in the song he mixes "No Diggity" with the music from a Radiohead song ("15 Step"). And since he uses 20+ samples on each song, it is hard to not listen to each song just to hear what is next.

Right now you can purchase his latest CD, "Feed the Animals" online here. However, the best part of it is that you choose how much you want to pay for it. Want to pay $0? No problem. (I figured I would go ahead and pay $5) Anyways, I highly recommend checking him out, especially if you are looking for some music for your next party. Below is one of the songs from his last record, along with a video him demonstrating how he puts his music together. Pretty interesting stuff.



1 comment:

Foster Huntington said...

http://restlesstransplant.blogspot.com/2008/06/feed-animals-new-era-for-music-creation.html