Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Milk Carton Kids



Back in June I went to see a Joe Purdy play a concert here in Atlanta. Opening for him was some band named The Milk Carton Kids. They were an opener band, I'd never heard of them, and their name was kind of weird, so I wasn't really that interested. However, I ended up watching them and really enjoyed it.

The band is made up of just two guys, Kenneth Pattengale and Joey Ryan, who I would describe as a West coast Simon & Garfunkle. They both play acoustic guitar and both sing. And while their music is very good, their shows involve more than a bit of banter which is quite entertaining. Last week they played at Eddie's Attic in Decatur and I went with a friend to see them play. The show was really good and was a steal for only $10 a ticket. If they make a stop in your town at some point in the future, I would highly recommend going to check them out.

They have two albums right now and, awesomely, both are available to download for free on their website. Below is a video for their song "Permanent," which may be my favorite song on either album.

No comments: