Tuesday, February 23, 2010

For the Ladies: What to do with old bridesmaid dresses

If you are a guy, you can probably tune out for this post, but since I know that I have at least four female readers, I thought I would pass this along.

It seems to me that having to buy a bridesmaid's dress because someone asked you to be in their wedding would be pretty annoying. "Hey, you're one of my favorites, I really want you to be in my wedding. Oh, and do you have about $500 to spare that you can use to buy me presents for my multiple showers and to shell out on a dress that you'll only wear once all while you secretly resent me for getting married before you? OK, awesome." Thank goodness I will never have to experience this.

Well, clearly the ladies over at MyScoop feel you pain. Ashlyn Stallings, whose blog Miss Magnolia is on my blog list to the right, wrote an article for MyScoop with ideas for actually reusing some of those bridesmaid dresses. Some of the ideas that they've come up with sound pretty good and pretty doable. Be sure to check out both her blog post and her article, "From Bridesmaid to Everyday Outfit," on MyScoop.

6 comments:

SMarge said...

Thanks for posting this. You reminded me that I have to order and purchase a bridesmaids dress for a friend's wedding before the end of February... that's just a few days away. The dress is tangerine orange... maybe it won't be so bad?...

Ashlyn Stallings said...

Ha. Thanks for this, Trip. And for a guy, you've nailed the thought process (subconscious or not) of many bridesmaids. Way to go.

And that Taj India buffet is mine. Thanks for the heads up.

thelovelist said...

Ashlyn's such a talented writer, ove these ideas. Get it girl.

Anonymous said...

My friend had a similar post on this great blog that I read...

http://wearingwhiteafterlaborday.blogspot.com/2009/10/wearability.html

inapeartree said...

Yeah, I have a bridesmaid dress that I altered after the wedding for a Mad Men cocktail party I attended. Looks much better although I'm not that great at altering so when I made the skirt a pencil shape, I didn't put in a split and everytime I slipped over, I always landed on my arse from a lack of room to keep my balance. So, be careful of that.

r said...

I have been in 13 weddings and my sister and best friend aren't even married yet...which means I've spent somewhere around $6500 on all of the hoopla and fancy pants events and can plan on at least $1000 more for my two favorite people and their first day of wedded bliss. Thanks for this post...fabulous ideas for the few semi attractive salvageable gowns amid the lime green poof and melon colored meringue.

Signed,
Rachael and the closet-full-of-ugly-dresses