Monday, February 1, 2010

"Hipster's Guide to Birmingham"


Photo credit: latfh

If you have been reading this blog for a while, you'll know that two of the softest spots I have in my heart are for Birmingham and for hipsters. Sometime, in spite of not being a hipster, I am really aware of the hipster culture in the Magic City, but for those of you who are not as informed, someone on freeThinkBham (some sort of Birmingham young people's Marxist website that I am not generally endorsing) created the "Hipster's Guide to Birmingham." After reading it, I think they did a pretty good job and pretty much covered all of the bases. I liked the fact that friends of mine helped start two of the businesses mentioned in the guide (Urban Standard and Bici Coop). If this sounds like something that's up your alley, give it a read.

*Hat tip to Carrie Rollwagen for posting this on Facebook and bringing it to my attention

2 comments:

Mr Ryan said...

haha this is very funny! For someone that has spent a lot of time in the bham area Ive always wondered why it wasnt more up to date with things?

Anonymous said...

I miss the "Ham" more than ever after reading that. I did live off Highland Ave., but I don't think the "hipster" label fit me. I did enjoy countless nights at Zydeco, Dave's, and the Barking Kudu.

The best thing was being able to get anywhere you needed to go in less than 10 minutes. Try that in Atlanta.